I never win anything……but today I did. How awesome is that?? What did I win you ask?? Well, Terry over at Oh For Pete’s Sake has bestowed upon me the Sweet Friend Award.
How great is that??? I am honored to receive such a compliment.
Now I am supposed to tell you 10 things that make me happy, then share this award. So here goes:
The things that make me happy are:
1. My Job. I actually have two jobs. First and foremost I am a medical transcriptionist and I work from home. I have been doing this for just a little over 5 years now. I love the flexibility of my schedule and being home with my kids. However, typing what the docs are saying with a 4 year old and a 1 year old in the room is less than easy, so even though I work from home, I still have to work when the kids are otherwise engaged or when Daddy is home to help. My second job is part time in the office of a small local screen printing business. I love this job too, mostly for the social aspect that I don’t get when I only work at home. Getting away for a few hours a day energizes me to come home, do some typing and be a better wife and mother than if I were trapped in my house day in and day out.
2. My Children. There are days they make me want to pull my hair out and check myself into the local looney bin, the smile on their faces and hearing “I love you Mommy” brings me more joy than I have ever experienced before motherhood. That unexplainable unconditional love I felt the moment I sawy my first child for the first time absolutely changed my life! I never thought I wanted kids. I actually thought I was way too selfish to have children. My oldest (and youngest for that matter) was a surprise, the result of a drunken night at college but the moment I looked into her face I knew there was no way I could ever be selfish again. Now don’t get me wrong, I am selfish at times but never to the point that it affects their well being. When I married my second husband I had already decided I didn’t want more children, as my oldest was already 6 (almost 7 when we got married). He agreed and was perfectly OK with this but after a missed period we were disappointed that I wasn’t pregnant so we decided to try. A year later we had baby #2 and I was flooded with love once again. My third child, my only son, was the biggest surprise. I was working full time and going to school full time so a pregnancy was the absolute last thing I needed. God had other plans. I was so disconnected my entire pregnancy (entertained the idea of letting my sister adopt him at one point). I ended up having to have an emergency C-section (and I was all alone at the hospital) and got so scared that I had done something to cause him harm. When he was born and I finally got to see him, he was perfect and beautiful and adorable and I fell in love immediately. His eyes sparkle every time he sees me. Ages 11, 4 and 1 are all trying in their own ways….but most days I wouldn’t trade it for the world. (Some days I would trade it for a bottle of wine and a chair on the beach).
3. My Husband. My husband loves me unconditionally and without boundaries. I am not the easiest person in the world to live with. He knows this, knows all my flaws and loves me in spite of all of that. He tells me all the time how much joy I bring to his life…me! We were married 5 years in September and in that time we have had two beautiful children together. We have also gone through some pretty rough times and I don’t mean typical everyday stuff…..We have been through some really bad shit. But we both take our vows seriously and we are both committed to working through our problems and growing old together.
4. My Friends. Friendships are so important. I have 4 people in my life that I call my best friends who I know I can go to no matter what and they will be there for me. Tabby, Kelly, Lynn and Heather. These girls are amazingly wonderful and I couldn’t imagine my life without them in it. We have all been through bad times and good times together, not to mention petty arguments and periods of not speaking. But when it is true friendship it can’t be ignored. I have known 3 of these girls for close to 16 years and one for close to 9 years and I know that they will be a part of my life for many many years to come. (If any of you are reading this, I love you and what you have brought to my life.)
5. My Twitter Friends. My husband makes fun of me, even calls me nosey for “butting in other people’s lives”. I feel more like I was invited in. But the people that I tweet with everyday are important to me too. Maybe I am just an insignificant 140 characters (or less) in their day but I look forward to that social contact as much as any other in my life. Most of these people I would never have had a chance to get to know if it weren’t for social networking sites or blogs and I am utterly grateful they choose to share a small part of their day/lives with me (@Mom2A_Princess, @ComfyOnCloud9, @rpuitt31, @crazysahm, @WhyIsDaddyCryin, @BradMilner).
6. Pajama Pants. Seriously. I have worked at home for five years now and I love my pajama pants. I buy them all the time. I wear them out because I don’t just sleep in them, I basically live in them when I am at home. They have to be cute and my top always matches, sitting and typing for 8+ hours straight every day requires comfort and this is the best way I have found for me to be comfortable and not feel blah in sweats or yoga pants all day. PJs are usually lighter and much more colorful. I have stripes, polka dots, smiley faces, hearts, bubbles, flowers, plaid, snowflakes, footballs, UK, and more that I can’t think of off the top of my head. If you ever need to buy me a gift, you can’t go wrong with pajama pants (or wine). (PS My birthday is June 14) 🙂
7. Sunshine. No, I don’t have Seasonal Affective Disorder in any way, shape, form or fashion. But if it were up to me it would be warm and sunny all day everyday! I would LOVE to live in Phoenix. I have spent a few summers there and that is where I think I was born to live. But, at this point in my life if I decided to move there, I would have to go without my hubbie. Oh well, a girl can dream. I used to say in a perfect world it would only rain at night, after midnight, and just enough to water the grass, trees, etc. but not enough to make driving dangerous. It would only snow on Christmas Eve after dark so that everyone could wake up to a white Christmas, but the snow would only be on the grass and houses, not the cars, streets, driveways or sidewalks so that everyone could get to their destination(s) safely. I know, I am a little delusional. But it’s my world, I can imagine it anyway I want (I like to call it Laura Land).
8. Football. This one is even strange for me to type. Five years ago I despised football. I thought it was the dumbest sport ever invented and I though it made absolutely no sense. It used to make me so mad when guys I dated (as well as my exhuband) would spend their entire Sunday as well as Monday night (and sometimes Saturday) glued to the TV watching these barbarians chase after a piece of pigskin. Then I married Phillip. And he was an Indianapolis Colts fan. I tried everything in my power to keep him from the TV on Sundays but nothing worked. I finally decided I either had to give in or spend Sundays alone. About a year after we got married we had a Sunday all to ourselves and he, of course, was watching football. I wanted to have some quality couple time hanging out. He told me to grab a beer and watch the game, we’d talk during commercials. I gave in. But I spent most of the game asking questions (keep in mind I was a cheerleader in high school, I should’ve known most of this stuff, lol) about what was going on. He was such a good sport and explained everything to me. So, the next week I did it again. It wasn’t long before I found myself fascinated with this sport. Now, 4 years later, I am as addicted (if not more) than he is. In fact, I have lots of favorite players (not necessarily favorite teams) and I am a Colts fan for sure. I will watch football no matter who is playing. Then I will watch SportsCenter so I can see the highlights. I LOVE football Sundays and usually make boneless wings and appetizers so we can just hang out and veg on the couch watching the games. I don’t even schedule myself to work on Sundays during football season. Pathetic I know. But I got sucked in and I love every minute of it! Go Colts!! (PS If I ever divorce my husband it will be because Peyton Manning has knocked on my door with a ring and roses in hand – I love him!!)
9. Grey’s Anatomy. Thursday night at 9 o’clock I will not answer the phone if you call my house (unless you are Tabby calling during commerical to talk about what just happened). If you need me for that hour, you will need to text or tweet, otherwise you have to wait until 10. I am not obsessed, but this is my favorite hour of TV. I don’t know why I got so hooked on this show, but I love all the characters on this show (except for Owen). I guess I just relate to these people and the drama they have and it is my escape for one hour every Thursday. That is why I say there are times I am selfish….my kids even know that they better be in bed before 9 cause once the show starts Mommie is off duty.
10. Phones. From an early age I was obsessed with the telephone. At age 13 I got my own phone for my room as a Christmas gift. I was so excited and it just snowballed from there. I love phones, all phones. It started with cordless phones when I got my first apartment. I will spend more than I need to because a phone is “pretty”. Then came cell phones. A phone I can use anywhere at anytime? I was immediately sold! I have changed cell phone companies just to get a different phone. I used to be with AT&T and recently switched to a local company that is cheaper. Big mistake. Their phones don’t even compare. I will switch back, and I will get an iPhone. (Or maybe I will humor my husband and stay where I am and settle for an iPod Touch). But one thing’s for sure, when it comes to phones I always want bigger and better….I want the latest gadget. I want my phone to do everything. Cause let’s be honest about it, it is never going to leave my side it might as well be all inclusive so I just have to worry about one device, right?? In fact, the phone I have right now I hate…..so there is an upgrade in my near future that I can guarantee! Is there an group for phone addicts???
Now I am passing this award onto the following 10 bloggers!
1. Sloan – http://sloan-365days.blogspot.com
2. BOREDmommy – http://mommymaria.wordpress.com
3. Dejoni – http://www.southernfriedmomma.com
4. Diary of A New Mom – http://diaryofanewmom.blogspot.com
5. Modern Matriarch – http://www.diaryofamodernmatriarch.com
6. Mommy Is Dating – http://www.mommyisdating.com
7. My Messy Paradise – http://mymessyparadise.com
8. Loulou’s Views – http://loulousviews.blogspot.com
9. Boobie Wednesday – http://boobiewednesday.blogspot.com
10. Crazysahm – http://crazy-sahm.blogspot.com